Monday, May 6, 2013

High Protein Pancakes


I produce string bean children. It doesn't matter how much weight I gain during pregnancy, or how much I feed them after birth, or how many extra calories I pack onto their favorite foods - my offspring seem to be genetically predispositioned to be tall, lanky, all arms and legs and not an ounce of fat anywhere. Don't get me wrong, they're very healthy kids, but a strong breeze could knock them over.

That being said, I'm always looking for ways to get some extra protein in their diets, and that powdered whey stuff you turn into milk shakes... well, we'll save that for the bodybuilders - it freaks me out. I wouldn't drink it myself, and so I'm sure as heck not pumping my kids full of it. THAT being said, I'm super excited whenever I figure out a natural way to add an extra dose of protein to a food I know they are going to love, and that's exactly what we have here for you today! I surprised even myself with how good these are - I hope you like them!
High Protein Pancakes
Makes about 18

What I use:


  • 1 c. wet (fresh) almond meal
  • 1 c. water (or milk)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt

How I do it:

1. In a medium bowl, add the almond meal, water, egg, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Whisk until blended.



2. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk just until combined.



3. Heat a pan over medium-low and lightly grease it. (If you are using an electric griddle, preheat it to 375 degrees F). I like to spritz a little cooking spray on a paper towel and wipe the pan down.

4. Using a 1/4 c. measure, or an ice cream scoop, pour the batter onto the pan.

5. Cook until the edges begin to get dry and bubbles start forming on the top.



Feel free to add fun extras, like nuts, fruit, or chocolate chips...




6. Carefully flip the pancake over and cook just until it starts to steam a little, about 30 seconds.



Serve them up immediately with butter and warm maple syrup, or make breakfast PB&Js with them, or throw a sausage patty in the middle and have a griddle sandwich. So many fun things to do!

If you want to freeze some for later, lay them out in a single layer on a cooling rack. Place in the freezer for one hour, then transfer to a freezer safe bag. No waxed paper dividers necessary - the flash freeze should keep them from sticking. When you want them, put them in the fridge the night before to thaw (who's going to remember that?!?) or use your microwave. I do a 1-minute defrost followed by a 30-second cook. The choice is yours. Enjoy!

Note: If you like your pancakes a little thinner, add another splash of liquid. Want them thicker? Add an extra 1/4 c. of flour.

The family says:

  • K said they were really good. He only ate two, but he had already had 4 slices of bacon (we only have bacon about once a month, so he got a little excited).
  • Andrew said they were "oh my gosh good" and he just wanted to keep eating more and more of them.
  • I had pretty much the same reaction as Andrew - took a bite and it was like, "Wow! These are soooo good!" And I couldn't stop eating them. I had to actually force myself to walk away and freeze the rest. That was tough, but pancakes are my favorite food, so this wasn't a huge shock.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...