Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

We are big hard-boiled egg eaters around here. I buy eggs in two and a half dozen packs and they are gone within a week. Over the years, I have had more than my share of green yolks, sticky shells, and raw centers. But, I'm happy to announce that has all changed. It took dozens and dozens (and dozens!) of eggs and lots of trial and error with several different methods, but I have finally figured out how to make them perfect every single time.

I was always told that the best way to get eggs to peel nicely was to make sure they weren't too fresh. That meant buying them a week before I actually needed them. Since my crystal ball seems to be on the fritz, I always end up getting them the day before I decide to make them.

And I always end up with shells that refuse to let go of the egg, which leads to very sad looking deviled eggs. It turns out that while the eggs are hanging out in your fridge, the thin skin-like layer just inside the egg shell separates from the shell, making it easier to peel them off. You can not rush this process. But you can cheat it.

Baking soda. Yup, the same stuff you use to brush your teeth, deodorize the kitty litter, clean the drain, and help your cakes rise. Because the shells are porous, the baking soda gets in there and does its thing and creates the tiniest air pocket between the shell and that membrane, making them fall right off. You will be amazed at how well this works!

There are other tricks to making perfect hard boiled eggs, so read on.
  
Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

What I use:
  • 1 dozen large eggs
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • Water
How I do it:

1. Place the eggs in a pot that is large enough to hold them all in a single layer. Make sure you have a lid that fits the pot.

2. Add cold water to the pot until the eggs are covered by an inch of water.

3. Sprinkle the baking soda over the water.

4. Put the pot on the stove top over high heat.

5. As soon as the eggs come to a boil, turn the heat off and put the lid on.

6. Set a timer for 12 minutes and walk away.

7. When the time is up, put the pot in the sink (remove the lid!), and run cold water over the eggs for 5 minutes.

8. Drain and peel the eggs.

9. Store them in the fridge.

At this point, do whatever you want with them. Make deviled eggs, dye them for Easter, chop them up for tuna or macaroni salad, make sliced egg sandwiches, or just eat them straight as a healthy snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...