Monday, October 8, 2012

Better-Than-Instant Oatmeal

I always bought those packets of flavored instant oatmeal, but after the Real Food Challenge, stuff like that just tastes too sweet to me. Besides, I can make my own from scratch for a lot cheaper. This is my favorite oatmeal these days.Yes, it takes a little longer than the packets, but it's so worth it.
Better-Than-Instant Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving

What I use:
  • 1/2 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 1/4 c. water
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • Dash of cinnamon
How I do it:

1. In a small pot, stir the oatmeal and water together.

2. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Remove from heat and stir in milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

4. Let sit for 5 minutes. Enjoy!

Variations:
  • Add raisins with the oatmeal and water. Or...
  • Add chopped apples with the milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Or...
  • Add half a mashed banana and a tablespoon of chocolate chips; leave out the brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...