Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tangerine Chicken and Veggies over Jasmine Rice

We are big on meal planning around here. My worst nightmare is eating the same 5 or 6 dishes over and over again, week in and week out. Since today is Try Something New Tuesday in our house, I had to get creative. I knew I wanted chicken, and I happened to have a dozen or so tangerines that were taking up space on the counter. A quick search online gave me this recipe from Rachael Ray (love her!). But since I don't like hot sauce or curry, I didn't have green onions or cinnamon sticks, and I have this love/hate relationship with couscous, I changed the recipe to my liking.


I have a tendency to not like new recipes (I have an aversion to change). As a matter of fact, I was so sure it was going to be a flop that I didn't even bother taking a pic. I was pleasantly surprised, though - I loved it! I went back for seconds - I NEVER go back for seconds. I think the jasmine rice really gives it a nice flavor. Andrew gave it a 6.5 out of 10 and our son didn't like it but he ate it anyway. Let me know what you think. Don't worry - next time I make it (and there will definitely be a next time), I will post a pic.

Tangerine Chicken and Veggies over Jasmine Rice
Makes 4 servings

What I use:
  • 1 c. jasmine rice, uncooked
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into chunks
  • 1 12-16oz. package frozen stir-fry veggies (any kind you like, I use a broccoli stir fry blend)
  • 2 c. chicken broth, 1 1/4 c. for rice, 3/4 c. for tangerine sauce
  • 1 1/4 c. fresh tangerine juice, about 6 to 8 tangerines, depending on size
  • Zest from 1 tangerine (easier to zest before juicing, I use my microplane)
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. grated ginger (I use my microplane)
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 c. water
How I do it:

1. Prepare the jasmine rice according to the package directions, replacing 1 1/4 c. of the water called for with chicken broth.

2. While the rice cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the olive oil.

3. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink inside, about 8 to 10 minutes.

4. Place the cooked chicken in a bowl and add the frozen veggies to the pan.

5. Cook veggies for 5 to 8 minutes, or until crisp tender. Add to the chicken.

6. With the heat still on, pour the 3/4 c. chicken broth, tangerine juice, zest, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger to the pan.

7. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

8. Add the cornstarch and water mixture and stir for a minute or two, until thickened.

9. Add the chicken and veggies back to the pan and stir until everything is coated in the sauce.

10. Serve the chicken and veggies over the jasmine rice.

Change it up:
  • Use clementine or orange juice instead of tangerine juice
  • Use any kind of rice (white, brown, etc.)
  • Use any veggies you want

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...