Friday, January 4, 2013

Banana Nut Bread Muffins (aka The 3 Banana Tragedy)



This recipe was born the same way most banana recipes are born in my kitchen - by three bananas that were ready to kick the bucket. I'm not sure why, but no matter how many (or few!) bananas I buy, there always ends up being three left on my counter.

Every. Single. Time.

I have learned to accept this fact. I simply don't buy bananas anymore unless I know I have an end game in mind for the three inevitable fallen soldiers. But still, I have to wonder, what would happen if I only bought three bananas to begin with?

Banana Bread Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

What I use:
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1/3 c. white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2/3 c. chopped pecans
  • 1/4 c. quick-cooking oats
How I do it:

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas.

3. Add the brown sugar, white sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla. Beat well with an electric mixer until very smooth.

4. Add the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and pecans. Mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, just until combined. Do not overmix or use the electric mixer or your muffins will be tough.

5. Spray a muffin pan with baking spray or cooking spray, or use muffin papers.

6. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way with the batter.

7. Sprinkle 1 tsp. oats on each muffin.

8. Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean.

9. Cool in the pan for 2 minutes, then on a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or in the fridge for a week.

I know a lot of people like to substitute applesauce for the oil, and I usually do that as well. But I made these for the boys and K is underweight, so the extra calories are just what the doctor ordered.

I use a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flours for a few reasons. First, Andrew isn't a total fan of the whole wheat. Second, sometimes when I use all whole wheat, my bread or muffins come out light and dry on the top half but dense and not cooked enough on the bottom half. This combo works perfectly for us. You can do it any way you like - all whole wheat, all regular, throw in some white whole wheat - do whatever makes you and your family happy. Then report back to me - I'd love to hear your twists!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...