Friday, January 25, 2013

Black Bean Cocoa Bars




Stop! Don't run away! I know what you're thinking - black beans? In my brownies?! Really? Is this chick crazy?? You're just going to have to trust me on this one. Take a deep breath. It's going to be ok, I promise.

 
Black beans, full of protein and fiber, replace the flour in these rich chocolaty bars, which were born out of my never-ending quest to create healthier versions of Andrew's favorite treats. I'll admit, he wasn't a huge fan. (I swear, the man can sniff out healthy food a mile away.) But K, who is so picky he seems to subsist on hard-boiled eggs and air, absolutely loved them. He has them as an after-school snack with an apple and a glass of milk and he's in heaven.

Black Bean Cocoa Bars
Makes 16 bars (2 x 2 inch each)

What I use:
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened baking cocoa
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

How I do it:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

3. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until completely smooth, 2 or 3 minutes.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish; smooth the top with the back of a spoon.

5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is dry and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted near the center.

6. Cool completely in the pan.

Store in the fridge for up to one week.

I have considered trying different beans - which ones do you think might work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...