Monday, January 7, 2013

Breadsticks - 3 Ways


I love, love, love my bread machine. I got a new one for my birthday in October and I can't live without it. I had one before that. Two, actually. The first one was older than me and when I finally decided to start using it, it turned out that it was half broken. It would bake, but it wouldn't mix or knead the dough. Then a friend of mine gave me one that someone gave to her and it ended up also being half broken. It would mix and knead, but not bake. So between the two of them, I had a great bread machine, but a total pain in the butt.

Now that I have a bread machine that actually kneads AND bakes (and makes jam and does all kinds of cool stuff!), I am a bread-making fool. I make our sandwich bread (white for Andrew and honey-wheat for K - thanks Lisa Leake), plus dinner bread, rolls, and now breadsticks. I usually let the machine do all the work, then I shape and form the dough myself and bake it off in the oven. Much more exciting than getting a brick-shaped loaf every single time. These went perfect with the Red Lentil Soup.

Breadsticks
Makes 16 5-inch breadsticks (or 8 10-inch breadsticks)

What I use:
  • For the breadsticks:1/2 Tbsp. white sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 c. lukewarm water (86 to 95 degrees F)
  • 1/8 c. vegetable oil
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. instant yeast
For the seasoning:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • Kosher salt
  • Garlic salt
  • Herbes de Provence
How I do it:

1. Place the ingredients in your bread machine according to the instruction manual. (Mine says liquids and sugar first, flour on top, make a well in the flour for the yeast.)

2. Choose the dough setting.

3. When the machine is finished, gently punch the dough down on a lightly floured surface and shape into an 8 x 10-inch rectangle.

4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

5. Cut the dough lengthwise so you have 8 1-inch wide 10-inch long breadsticks. Cut them in half if you want 16 5-inch long breadsticks.

6. Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, placing them an inch apart.

7. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 Tbsp. water and lightly brush onto each stick.

8. Sprinkle some of the breadsticks with the kosher salt, some with the garlic salt, and some with the Herbes de Provence.

9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden and 190 degrees F internally.

10. Serve immediately.

My baking sheet could only accommodate 12 5-inch breadsticks, leaving 4 behind. I didn't want to waste the dough, so I turned them into quick cinnamon rolls

Which version was your favorite? Do you have a different topping/seasoning you like to use?
Ooh, I bet Old Bay would taste awesome with a seafood dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...