Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Easy Perfect Apple Pie



As promised, I have another apple recipe for you. This one is super easy and makes the house smell so good, you're going to love it.

Andrew is an apple pie snob and only loves his mother's apple pie, but he officially declared this one the best he has ever had. And no, he isn't just saying that. He's completely honest about my food, too honest sometimes, and will be the first to tell me if I make something terrible. Thank him - he has saved you from some of my worst cooking disasters.

There's just something about apple pie that is so comforting and home-y (is that a word??). The smell of the cinnamon and apples drifting through the house just makes the world seem ok for a minute. I know, I know, I'm putting a lot of responsibility on this little pie's shoulders. Trust me, it can handle it.

I love this recipe because nothing can strike fear into a home cook's heart like a double-crusted, lattice-top pie. (And hollandaise sauce... and souffles... and over easy eggs, and... oh, never mind.) This perfect pie not only removes the top crust, but eliminates the need for the pie dish as well. Print this one out, it's a keeper!

P.S. Until I perfect my pie crust dough recipe, I will continue to use a frozen, store bought, thaw-for-15-minutes-and-unroll pie crust. Don't judge.

Easy Perfect Apple Pie
Makes 6 generous slices
Or 8 regular slices
Or 10 I-really-shouldn't-but-I'm-going-to-anyway slices

What I use:
  • 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed
  • 2 Tbsp. white sugar
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon (or apple pie spice)
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 9-inch pie crust, thawed
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, cut into cubes the size of game dice
  • Egg wash - 1 egg plus 1 Tbsp. water, beaten

How I do it:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Place the apple slices into a medium bowl.

3. Sprinkle the sugars, lemon juice, cinnamon, and flour over the slices.

4. Toss until the slices are evenly coated.

5. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper.

6. Lay your pie crust in the middle of the baking sheet.

7. Pour the apples into the middle of the pie crust, leaving a 2-inch border.



8. Put the cubes of butter on the apples.

9. Working your way around the pie, fold the excess crust up and over the apples, crimping the seams and leaving the center open.

10. Generously brush the egg wash over the crust.


11. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown and the bottom crust is done.


12. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then move to a cutting board or serving plate to cool for another 10 before cutting into the pie.

Serve as-is or with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Note: If the egg wash fails you and your pie springs a leak, don't worry about it - it will still taste great. That's what they made serving plates for - you're the only one that needs to know! (I'll let you in on a little secret - this one leaked all over the place, but a quick move from the baking sheet to this cutting board, and Viola - Perfect pie!)

You could use any fruit really, or even a canned pie filling if you're really in a bind.

What's your favorite pie? Is it a classic like apple or pumpkin, or is it a super-special family recipe dating back a few generations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...