Thursday, March 7, 2013

Avocado Hummus


I am a huge hummus fan. I have recently forsaken all other dips in favor of this Middle Eastern spread. I particularly like the one that has extra minced garlic piled on top in the container. Yes, I said container. I, Foodie Mama, buy my hummus. It's embarrassing to admit, especially since there are so few ingredients involved and only one prep step, but every hummus recipe I have ever tried turned out barely edible. Until this one.


I swear, Catherine over at weelicious really knows what she's doing. I can lose days of my life surfing her site. Sometimes when I can't think of one decent thing to make for my kids, I head over there for inspiration. And while I have tweaked some of her recipes until they become my own, this one is perfect. I made it the other day and I used this stuff on everything. Veggies were dipped, chips were scooped, sandwiches were slathered - I couldn't get enough. It even tastes good straight up, not that I would know...

Avocado Hummus
Catherine's recipe from weelicious

What I use:
  • 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well with cool water
  • 1 medium avocado, pitted, flesh scooped out
  • 1 clove garlic (I used 1 tsp. minced garlic in oil)
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 c. olive oil (I used a little more because it was a little thick for my liking)
  • 1 Tbsp. tahini (I used toasted sesame seeds because it was all I had)

How I do it:

Place all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. (I pulsed everything together except the olive oil, then switched the processor to ON and drizzled in the olive oil until it reached a happy consistency.)

The family says:

  • K tried it but didn't love it. He doesn't really care for regular hummus either, so I wasn't too surprised. He liked it better on a chip than with veggies, but he'd rather skip the whole thing.
  • Andrew likes avocado, but not hummus. The first bite I gave him was met with "Oooh, can I have a bowl of chips with some more of that??" But the next day (and the days after that), he wouldn't touch the stuff. He claimed it was "only good when it's fresh".
  • I disagree with that completely. It was really good when I first made it, but it was amazing the next day. That extra time to let all the flavors meld together really made it sing. I simply cannot get enough of this stuff. I will probably never make regular hummus again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...