Monday, March 4, 2013

Chocolate Pumpkin Mini Muffins


We love my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, but they are a little too big to fit in K's bento-style lunch box. Besides, him and dairy aren't getting along at the moment so that means the chocolate chips were a no-go. I reworked the recipe to make smaller muffins that skip the chips. They worked out beautifully and he can have them whenever he wants - breakfast, lunch, after school, or as a bedtime snack. The cocoa makes them decadent, the pumpkin makes them moist, and the oats make them a "healthier" option. You (and your kids) are going to love them!


Chocolate Pumpkin Mini Muffins
Makes 24 mini muffins

What I use:
  • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 c. old-fashioned oats
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 3/4 c. canned pumpkin
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 2 Tbsp. almond milk (you can use regular milk or water)
  • 1 egg

How I do it:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, milk or water, and egg.

4. Pour the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients and mix well with a rubber spatula.

5. Grease a mini muffin pan and scoop a little more than 1 Tbsp. into each cup. I use a mini ice cream scoop that works perfectly.

6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

7. Cool for 2 minutes in the pan before moving to a cooling rack.

Store for up to one week in an airtight container.


The family says:

  • K loves these. He likes any mini muffin really, but he really likes these. I put them in his lunch, he has them at breakfast with some fruit and milk, and he snacks on them after school.
  • Andrew said they were good, but his heart will always lie with my Sneaky Oatmeal Muffins. (Between him and my mother, I make two batches every weekend!)
  • These were a play on my favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, and I love them both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...