Monday, March 11, 2013

Bangin' Black Bean Burgers


We LOVE burgers in our house. Beef is definitely our first pick, but I've been working on getting the boys to branch out. They didn't mind the Very Veggie Quinoa and Bean Burgers, and they recently started liking turkey burgers. I figured I'd push my luck a little more and see how far I could get. I snuck a can of black beans into the kitchen and got to work. The smell won Andrew over before he even tasted it (they smell amazing) and the fact that they look very beef-like had K diving in without a word. All in all, they were a total success!


Black Bean Burgers
Makes 4 burgers

What I use:

  • 1 can black beans
  • 1/2 c. panko crumbs
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic in oil
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning

How I do it:

1. Drain and rinse the beans.


2. Place them in a medium bowl and mash them up. I use my potato masher.


3. Add everything else to the bowl.


4. Mix it up until everything is combined.


5. Score the mixture to ensure even patties.


6. Shape each quarter of the mixture into a patty.


7. Coat a pan with cooking spray. Cook the patties over medium-low for 3 minutes per side.


Dress them up the same way you would regular burgers - cheese, pickles, lettuce, ketchup, mayo, etc.


The family says:

  • K simply said "Amazing". Since he's the biggest beef burger junkie I know, I was pretty shocked with this answer.
  • Andrew is not a fan of burger imposters. Even so, his final word was that it was actually pretty good and he wouldn't mind if I made them again.
  • I honestly thought they were the best faux burgers I've ever had, and I've tried every brand in the store. I would take these over a beef burger any day.


What is your favorite meat-free burger?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...