Friday, March 1, 2013

Baked "Fried" Pickles


I am a Southern girl trapped in a Northerner's body. I used to live in North Carolina and I can't wait to move back. I listen to country music. I can rock a southern accent like it's the cool thing to do. I adore sweet tea and chicken fried steak and lots of other cowboy-type fare. Lately, fried pickles have become a popular trend down in the South. While I can't bring the girl to the country, I can certainly bring the country to the girl.


Baked "Fried" Pickles
Makes 2 dozen

What I use:
  • 24 dill pickle slices
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs (or regular bread crumbs)

How I do it:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Dry the pickles. Lay them out on a few paper towels and blot the tops with another paper towel.


3. Put the egg, flour, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl. Place the panko in another small bowl.


4. Using a fork or whisk, mix the egg mixture until smooth.


5. Dip the pickles in the egg mixture, shake off the excess, and put them in the panko to coat.


6. Place the coated pickles on a baking sheet lined with foil.


7. Bake for 5 minutes, flip them over, then bake for 5 more minutes.


Serve plain, or with ranch dip or ketchup.


The family says:

  • K ate one, then wanted a whole bowl to himself.
  • Andrew made all kinds of faces when I told him what I was making, but quickly changed his tune after trying one. This was then followed by 10 minutes of: "Are you done taking pictures yet?" "Can I have them now?" "How about now?" "Now?"
  • The two pickles I managed to pry away from the boys tasted pretty good. 


What are your favorite southern dishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...