Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sesame Shrimp Soba Noodles


A few weeks ago, we took a trip to the Asian Supermarket near our house to look for bento lunch supplies. I didn't find anything I wanted, but I have trouble walking out of a store with nothing. I always feel like the owners are staring me down, calling me names in their heads. 

So we walked around for a while, checking out all of the bright packages we couldn't read and looking at bulk bins of things like tiny dried fish. I finally settled on a pack of wonton skins, 2 different sizes of wooden skewers, some cute plates and bowls, and a package of soba noodles. Shortly thereafter, we went to Trader Joe's, where I picked up a bottle of toasted sesame oil. There was a sale on shrimp at the regular grocery store, and suddenly I knew what we were having for dinner on Seafood Friday.
 
I love this dish for so many reasons - the light sesame sauce plays well with the chewiness of the soba and the juicy shrimp and crunchy sesame seeds round it all out. Plus you serve it cold - perfect for a hot summer dinner or leftover lunch the next day.

Sesame Shrimp Soba Noodles
Makes 4 servings

What I use:

  • 8 oz. soba noodles
  • 1 lb. cooked shrimp, cold
  • 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. minced garlic in oil
  • 1/4 c. sesame seeds

How I do it:

1. Boil the soba noodles according to the package directions (mine said to boil for 6 minutes).

2. While the noodles are cooking, prepare the sauce. Place the soy sauce, apple cider cinegar, toasted sesame oil, canola oil, brown sugar, and minced garlic in a small container with a lid. I use a small mason jar. Shake well to combine.

3. When the noodles are done, drain and rinse them with cold water. Place them in a large bowl with the shrimp.



4. In a small pan, toast the sesame seeds over medium low. Toss them in the pan frequently so they don't burn and turn off the heat as soon as you can smell them, about 3 to 5 minutes.



5. Pour the sauce over the noodles and shrimp and sprinkle in the sesame seeds. Toss to combine. Serve.

Note: You could also serve this dish warm - use fresh-cooked shrimp and don't rinse the noodles.


The family says:

  • Shrimp is K's favorite thing, so he was a very happy camper.
  • Andrew said it was really good and he wouldn't change a thing.
  • I kept wanting to add another tiny splash of  sesame oil but Andrew said to leave it alone. It was really good - a dish I know I will make over and over.

What do you buy when you go to the Asian Supermarket?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...