Friday, November 9, 2012

Pasta Fagioli



There are foods that I want to like, but I just don't. Maybe that makes me weird, but things like avocados and sweet potatoes are on this list. After years of persistence, my taste buds have finally given in and I love them both now! Pasta fagioli has always been one of them as well, until I decided to make it on my own. This is a very simple and easy soup with lots of yummy broth - perfect for crusty bread-dipping.

Pasta Fagioli
Makes 4 to 6 servings

What I use:
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 6 c. chicken broth plus 1 tsp. salt or 3 cans chicken broth
  • 1 15oz. can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 15oz. can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 4 oz. ditalini pasta

How I do it:

1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.

2. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.

3. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.

4. Add the chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and cheese.


5. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, covered, for 1 hour.

6. Cook the pasta - for a thinner soup, cook it separately and add it to the finished soup; for a thicker soup, cook it in the soup for the last 10 minutes.

Note: If you don't plan on eating it all in one sitting, make the pasta separately and add it to the soup when you are ready to eat. Otherwise, the pasta will soak up all of the broth.

Are there any foods you "want to like but don't" or am I the only one?

3 comments:

  1. Mine is the raw big juicy tomatoes! I've been looking like crazy but can't seem to find the ditalini anymore! The commissary was the last place I saw it I think they may have discontinued :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The commissary is so limited in what they carry. I always had to go off-base to get half of what I needed. You could use any small pasta though - mini elbows or farfalle (tiny little bowtie pasta just makes me smile!)

      Delete
  2. Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com. foodienewz.com is a new food sharing site and we actually try our best to promote your food photos. At foodienewz.com all your food photos will be published without any editorial review so I really hope you come and join us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...