Monday, November 26, 2012

Smashed Baked Potatoes



When I was a kid, it was my job to peel potatoes. We ate a lot of potatoes. I HATE peeling potatoes. Even today, I am constantly coming up with new ways to make potatoes that don't involve a peeler. When I make mashed potatoes, I use red-skinned or yukon golds so I can just mash those skins right in. I really, really can't stand peeling potatoes. The beauty of this recipe is that you have to have the skins, otherwise you will never get the crispy outside that makes these potatoes so yummy. Perfection!

Smashed Baked Potatoes
Makes 4 servings

What I use:
  • 8 small yukon gold potatoes (not super tiny, a little bigger than a golf ball)
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • Garlic salt (you could use garlic powder if you want)
How I do it:

1. Place the potatoes in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp. water. Cover and microwave for 8
minutes. (I always "quick-bake" my potatoes this way - I hate waiting an hour for the oven.)

2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat up the oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat.

3. Place the cooked potatoes in the pan and smash them with the bottom of a mug or glass, making sure they stay intact.

4. Sprinkle them with the garlic salt and cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, just a few minutes.

5. Flip them over and cook the other side the same way.

For a true baked potato experience, serve them hot with sour cream. Happy mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...