Monday, February 4, 2013

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce


I have to be honest here - I don't like red sauce on my spaghetti. Give me a nice creamy alfredo, a light garlic and butter sauce, or a rich marsala gravy; anything but red sauce. But I do use it when I make lasagna, eggplant casserole, pizza, and the like. This sauce is so easy to make, and perfect if you hate relying on those jars from the grocery store.
 

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
Makes about 9 cups

What I use:
  • 2  28oz. cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1  28oz. can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 c. minced garlic in oil
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. oregano (dried)
  • 1 tsp. basil (dried)
  • 1 bay leaf

How I do it:

1. Place everything in the slow cooker and stir well. (I use a 4 quart slow cooker for this recipe.)

2. Turn the slow cooker on high for 1 hour, then switch it to low for 7 hours.

3. Remove the bay leaf.

I usually pull out 3 cups for dinner that night, and separate the rest into 3-cup portions and freeze it.

Feel free to add anything you want - ground meat (beef, turkey, sausage), veggies (shredded carrots, sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers), or some red pepper flakes (if you like a little heat).

I was always a Ragu girl, myself. What store brand do you love?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...