Friday, February 15, 2013

2-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream (no ice cream maker required!)


Come here, I want to tell you a secret. Closer... closer... that's close enough. Ready?

I hate bananas. I know, I know, you're so used to me telling you how much I love everything, but I really hate bananas. Totally despise the things. Really, really can't stand them. At all. I like banana flavored stuff - banana milkshakes, banana taffy, banana bread, banana pudding. But I absolutely, positively do not like plain bananas in their natural state. 

Whew. I feel better.

Now that we got that out of the way, I LOVE this. The baby loves this. Soon, you will love this.

Ice cream is one of my favorite desserts and always has been. I remember when we were kids my dad would try to turn our ice cream into a healthier treat by adding fruit to it. It was a good idea, but he would make very odd pairings with it. I ate mint chocolate chip ice cream topped with blueberries on several occasions. This ice cream is so cool because the fruit IS the ice cream. I have seen other people do this with just the bananas, but I really think it needs a second ingredient to make it extra smooth and creamy.

Easy Banana Ice Cream

What I use:
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 c. plain yogurt

That's it. No, really.

How I do it:

1. Peel the bananas, cut them into 1-inch chunks, and freeze them for 1 hour.

2. Place the frozen banana chunks into a food processor with the yogurt and pulse until smooth. (You may need to add a splash of milk or water if the whole thing is too thick and won't puree.)

3. Serve immediately or freeze.

If you re-freeze it, it will become rock hard. Take it out a little while before you want it, or throw it in the microwave on one-third power for 30 seconds at a time until it has reached the consistency you want.

You can add all sorts of fun stuff to this - peanut butter, cocoa powder, flavored yogurts - have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...