Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ham and Asparagus Quiche


Quiche has been one of my favorite foods for as long as I can remember. When I lived with my grandma, we would buy the little 5-inch personal quiches in all the flavors the grocery store had. Then we'd take them home and split them between us. Our plates would be full of different quiche halves and we'd eat every crumb. Ham and cheese, spinach, plain - they were all amazing. But now that I know how easy they are to make, I don't have to run to the store to get this eggy deliciousness. This one's for you MomMom.


As I pointed out before in my Easy Perfect Apple Pie recipe, pie crust and I are not friends at the moment, so I will be using a frozen, pre-formed pie crust. *Sigh.

Ham and Asparagus Quiche
Makes 6 servings (1/6th of the pie / quiche)

What I use:
  • 1 frozen pre-formed pie crust (do not thaw)
  • 1 tsp. dijon mustard
  • 3/4 c. cooked ham, chopped
  • 1 1/2 c. asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
  • 5 eggs
  • 3/4 c. almond milk (you could use any kind of milk)
  • Dash of salt

How I do it:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Poke the frozen pie crust all over with a fork (this is called docking), then place it on a baking sheet.

3. Bake it for 10 minutes, just to give it a head start, then remove it from the oven. (While it bakes, you could chop the ham and asparagus, or beat the eggs.)

4. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and salt.

5. Squirt the dijon mustard into the center of the pie crust and spread it out in a thin layer on the bottom using a pastry brush.

6. Toss your ham and asparagus together in a small bowl, then pour into the pie crust. (I put the ham in first, then the asparagus, which is why the above pic shows a million bits of asparagus and one lonely piece of ham. It's all there, it's just hiding under the asparagus. To quote Ree Drummond, "Don't be like me".)

7. Sprinkle the dried minced onions over the ham and asparagus.

8. Pour the eggs over everything.

9. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour. (I like my eggs really set, so I lean more towards the 60-minute mark.)

10. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve hot, cold, or room temp.

Obviously, there are a million ways you can make this. Swap out the asparagus for any sturdy veg like broccoli or carrots. You could use real chopped onions (Andrew does not like chunks of onion, but I like the taste, so we meet in the middle with dried minced.) Add some herbs. Leave out the ham and do all veg, or spinach and cheese. Ooh, cheese... I love it, but we have some dairy issues here as I'm sure you've noticed by my constant use of almond milk in my recipes.

What are your favorite quiche fillings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...