Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Bread


The first year I had my big garden, I planted a lot of zucchini. Apparently, you only need one plant per person in your family. No one told me. We had three people; I planted eight zucchini. Eight! We had SO much zucchini that year - I was giving it away daily and still had 10 on my counter at all times. I learned how to make a lot of zucchini recipes that summer. But I sure wish I knew this one back then.


I have to admit, I am a little bit obsessed with weelicious right now. Catherine has an amazing website full of everything from baby purees to toddler fare to big kids food to family favorites. I stumbled upon this recipe last night and just happened to have everything on hand. The batter was super thick and fudgy and it smelled like chocolate frosting. It made the house smell so good! An hour later, we were in chocolate zucchini heaven. I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks Catherine!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Original Recipe from weelicious

What you need:
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c. canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 2 c. zucchini, grated

How to do it:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a bowl, combine the first 6 dry ingredients.

3. In a separate large bowl, beat the vanilla, oil, eggs, banana, and honey until combined.

4. Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet then stir in the grated zucchini.

5. Pour the batter into two greased 8 x 4 inch loaf pans.

6. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

7. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove bread from the pan and cool completely.

8. Serve.

*Loaves can be wrapped tightly in foil, placed in Ziploc bags labeled with the date and frozen for up to 3 months.

Note: I'm a rebel and I did not stir my zucchini in; I used the hand mixer. I think it mixes much better than I do, and I don't mind if it breaks the zucchini into smaller pieces. (I do this with all grated veggie recipes, like carrot cake and zucchini muffins.) Also, my loaves were done in 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...