Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homemade Chocolates


Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, not that I really need an excuse to bring out the chocolates. I remember when I was pregnant with my second baby, I had gestational diabetes and couldn't have treats. A week before my due date, and a few days before Valentine's Day, we were walking through the mall and I spotted a HUGE heart filled with chocolates. No lie, this thing was over 2 feet wide.
 
I had to have it. It was crazy expensive but Andrew got it for me anyway so I could have it after the baby was born. It was the sweetest thing ever. I fought my urge to binge-eat the entire thing and managed to make it last almost 3 months. Come to think of it, I still have that huge box!

In case you don't have an Andrew, or gestational diabetes, or a 2 foot box of chocolates, I thought I'd share this recipe with you so you can make your own.

Homemade Chocolates
Makes 9 chocolates

What I use:
  • 3 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
  • 2 Tbsp. crispy rice cereal
  • 2 Tbsp. broken whole wheat pretzel pieces
  • 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds


How I do it:

1. Using a sharp knife, chop one square of chocolate into small shavings. Place in a small glass bowl.

2. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes total.

3. Add the crispy rice cereal and stir until the cereal is completely coated.

4. Using a very small ice cream scoop or 2 spoons, drop the mixture onto a small baking sheet lined with waxed paper. You should get 3 chocolates out of it.

5. Repeat with another square and the pretzels, then the last square and the almonds.

6. Place the chocolates in the freezer for 15 minutes until the chocolate is completely set.

7. Move the chocolates to the fridge for an hour. (You could serve them right away but they tend to sweat right out of the freezer.)

Share with someone you love. <3

If you don't eat them all in one sitting, store them in the fridge in an airtight container.

I took the chocolates out of a store-bought heart and replaced them with my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...