Monday, February 4, 2013

Veggie Stew with Biscuits


It's 21 degrees out. It's Meatless Monday. It's a perfect day for Veggie Stew.

Before you yell at me, I know there's chicken broth in it. And yes, I know that chicken is a meat, but that was all I had. And when you make it, you will use vegetable broth and make it totally meatless because you're awesome like that.

  Veggie Stew with Biscuits
Makes 4 to 6 servings

What I use:
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 2 to 3 medium red or yukon gold potatoes, diced
  • 1  12-oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. seasoned salt
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 1 can of white beans, rinsed well and drained, optional

How I do it:

1. Put the chicken broth and diced potatoes in a Dutch oven over medium heat.

2. Bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Add the frozen mixed vegetables, garlic powder, and seasoned salt.

4. Bring back to a boil for about 5 minutes. (Add the beans, if using.)

5. Put the water and flour in a small container with a lid and shake until smooth.

6. Slowly add the flour water to the pot.

7. Stir and cook for another 3 minutes or so, until it is the thickness you like.


I love pot pie, but on a Monday night, I don't have time to mess around with pie crust. Enter: the biscuit. Make them from scratch if you want, use Bisquick (like I did), or get the refrigerated ones in the can. Whatever works for you. Throw those babies on top and dinner is served.

Note: You could throw in some extra potatoes, a can of corn, or anything else you want, if you need to stretch it to feed more people. You could also toss in some shredded cheese, if that's your thing.

What's your favorite Meatless Monday dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...