Friday, November 16, 2012

S.O.S. Mix - Thanks Jillee!

I have this love-hate thing going on with canned condensed cream soups. On one hand, they are quick and easy and the cream of mushroom can be pretty tasty, if you're into that sort of thing. And I am. But the ingredient list can be a bit scary, and how comfortable am I really with a milk product that has been in a can for a year or three? Needless to say, I was super excited to find One Good Thing by Jillee, and her awesome mix that she got from her friend Debbie. I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand and made up a batch immediately.

Of course, every recipe I wanted to make in the weeks leading up to this day required a can of gloppy soup. And now that I had found a suitable replacement, I couldn't think of one thing to make with it. This is just a typical day in the Foodie Mama kitchen. Food is funny around here.
(I finally used it in my Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice.)
Like I was saying, make this today - you're gonna love it!

S.O.S. Mix (Soup or Sauce Mix)
From One Good Thing by Jillee

Makes the equivalent of 9 cans of cream soup

You will need:
  • 2 c. powdered nonfat dry milk
  • 3/4 c. cornstarch
  • 1/4 c. instant chicken bouillon
  • 2 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
  • 2 tsp. italian seasoning, optional
How to make it:
Combine all ingredients in a recloseable plastic bag, mixing well.

To use:
Whisk together 1/3 c. dry mix with 1 1/4 c. water.

Heat on the stove until thickened.

Use as you would canned soup in casseroles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...